Baked Veggie Taquitos
To make your tortillas a little more pliable for rolling, you can microwave them on a plate for 30 to 40 seconds with a damp paper towel covering them. Recipe yields about 18-22 taquitos.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms diced
- 1 cup Swiss chard chopped (leaves only)
- 1 cup yellow or orange bell pepper diced
- 1 -15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 ¼ cup butternut squash roasted and mashed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10-12 regular sized whole wheat tortillas
- 8 oz. Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese freshly grated
- Vegetable oil for brushing on the taquitos
- Serve with fresh salsa and sour cream
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Using a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. After a minute or two, add the onions, mushrooms and Swiss chard and sauté for about 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly softened. Add the bell peppers and black beans and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chili powder and the cumin and mix together well. Add the roasted and mashed butternut squash and mix well to combine with the other vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Assemble your taquitos: working on a flat, clean surface or cutting board, lay down a whole wheat tortilla and spoon on about a ¼ cup of the butternut squash and black bean mixture evenly on the lower half of the tortilla. Top generously with the freshly grated Monterey Jack cheese and roll the tortilla, starting from the bottom going up, closed. Brush each taquito with vegetable oil and lay down (tortilla flap side down) on a lined baking sheet. Continue with the remaining taquitos.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until crispy on the outside. Serve with pico de gallo or your favorite salsa and sour cream.