Zucchini Pesto Pizza
If you have leftover pesto, simply pour some extra virgin olive oil over the top (covering the pesto), and seal or cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate. When ready to eat, let pesto come to room temperature, mix and use within 1-2 days.
For the spinach pesto:
- 2 to 3 cups packed fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup arugula or fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic; whole or minced
- ¼ cup almonds
- ½ cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil + more if needed
- ¼ cup freshly grated or chunks of Parmesan
- Kosher salt to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes if desired
For the pizza:
- 3 slices naan bread or flatbread
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese + more if desired
- 1 zucchini sliced thin crosswise
- 1/2 small yellow summer squash sliced thin crosswise
- avocado oil
- fresh parsley finely diced
For the pesto:
Combine the spinach, greens, parsley, garlic, and almonds in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly combined. Add the Parmesan and pulse until well combined. Season with salt and add the crushed red pepper flakes (if using), pulse one more time and then set aside.
For the pizza:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Spread pesto (starting with 1/4 cup) onto each piece of naan bread. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese over the top. Top each pizza with slices of the zucchini and yellow summer squash; all in one layer and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the naan bread is slightly crispy.
Remove pizza from the oven and very lightly drizzle some avocado oil over the top and sprinkle on some fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy immediately.