Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
Smaller slow cookers: Halve the recipe to make this macaroni and cheese in a 3-quart or smaller slow cooker.
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 1/2 cups blend of shredded cheese like cheddar, fontina and butterkase (reserve about a 1/2 cup)
- 2 12-ounce cans evaporated milk
- 2 cups 2% or whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut up into cubes
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + more if needed
Set aside a 1/2 cup of cheese if you haven't already. Combine all of the ingredients in your slow cooker and mix together well. Try to make sure the butter cubes aren't stuck together and are evenly distributed and the pasta is submerged in the mixture. Sprinkle that remaining 1/2 cup of cheese evenly over the top.
Cover your slow cooker and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours. Check your mac and cheese at the 2.5 hour mark, mix it around and immediately serve and enjoy. If you're going for a more casserole-like baked mac and cheese, let it cook for another 30 minutes on low.
After 2 1/2 to 3 hours, either serve all of the mac and cheese immediately, OR remove all of the mac and cheese out of the slow cooker and into a completely different casserole dish or pot. If the mac and cheese remains in the slow cooker, even when it's off, it will continue to cook and get hard if you leave it in there.