Best Beef Stew in a Crock Pot
This Beef Stew may be made in the Crock-Pot or on the stove top in a large Dutch oven, but for the best results, slow cook your stew on LOW; it should simmer lightly. Boiling will make the beef stringy and dry, will ruin the flavor of the broth and make the vegetables mushy - the results will be like stew from a can. Most Crock-Pots have low and high settings, which will allow you to set the desired temperature.
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs
- 1- 2 pounds of lean stew BEEF depending on how much you want or beef chuck shoulder roast, cut into 1 inch cubes (this cut is also called chuck shoulder pot roast and chuck roast boneless). Stew Beef is already cut for you!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 lb. large carrots cut into 1/2-inch thick coins
- 2- 3 large potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- Half bag of frozen peas
- Handful of broccoli; chopped optional
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- Onion powder for sprinkling
- 1- 1 1/2 tablespoon Dry oregano
- 1-2 tablespoons Basil fresh or dry; if using fresh basil, throw a handful of basil leaves in there (again, it's up to you)
- 1 quart beef broth if you don't have beef broth, chicken or vegetable stock works just fine too
- Water as needed
- 1/4 cup ketchup optional
- 4 tablespoons flour; you will use this initially to coat the meat and some at the end combined with water and added towards the end to thicken the stew
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sprinkle the beef cubes lightly with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and flour for extra flavor during browning.
When using a Crock-Pot for beef stew, for extra flavor, brown the floured beef cubes in olive oil before transferring them to the Crock-Pot OR if you don't have time, just throw them in the crock pot as is.
Chop up all of your veggies and place them into the crockpot
Add the entire quart of beef broth into the crock pot (covering all of the meat and veggies; add more if you need to)
Add seasoning: oregano, basil, more onion powder (if desired), salt and pepper; MIX
Add the ketchup (if desired); MIX again
Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours (you can cook on HIGH for about 4 hours); the longer you cook the stew, the meat gets more tender
For a thicker STEW, combine 1-2 tbsp of flour OR corn starch with a 1/4 cup of water. Stir until smooth and then stir into the stew towards the end and cook for another 30 min to an hour.)
Serve with brown rice or bread, ENJOY!