Baked Mezzi Rigatoni with Pork, Kale and Mushrooms
If you want to make the Pork Shoulder Ragù, please click on the link above for ingredients and directions. MAKE AHEAD: I suggest making the pork a day ahead and then you'll already have it ready for the baked pasta.
Servings: 8 -9
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups of kale chopped
- 1 cup of zucchini chopped
- 1 cup of spinach chopped (fresh or frozen/thawed spinach)
- 1-2 cups of mushrooms chopped
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ pound of Mezzi Rigatoni pasta or whatever pasta you prefer
- 3 cups of pork shoulder ragu or ground turkey, or sausage; whatever you prefer
- 1 cup marinara sauce; jarred store bought or canned
- about 2 cups of shredded or diced fresh mozzarella cheese; split
- ½ cup of light low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano for garnish
If using, prepare the pork shoulder ragu.
For the baked mezzi rigatoni, preheat the oven to 375°. In a large, deep pan, heat the olive oil. Add all of the chopped vegetables and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain completely and cool under running water.
After the pasta has cooled a bit, put it back into the same empty pot (trying to save some dishes here), and add the pork shoulder ragu, all of the cooked vegetables, additional marinara sauce, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and the sour cream. Mix thoroughly.
Pour all of your pasta mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese if desired.
Bake the pasta for about 30-35 minutes, or until golden. Let rest for at least 15 minutes. Sprinkle fresh parsley and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and serve.