Soft Tofu Soup (Soondubu Jjigae)
For a non-spicy version, just omit the gochugaru.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup of pork pork shoulder or pork loin (whatever you have, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped or minced
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups ripe kimchi chopped (with kimchi juice)
- 1-2 tablespoons red pepper powder gochugaru; optional. Use this if you want your soup spicy.
- 1 cup vegetable mushroom or beef stock
- 1-2 cups water
- 2-3 packages soft tofu; depending on how much tofu you want
- 2 medium sized zucchini chopped and cut in half
- 1 cup fresh cremini baby portobello or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 -3 scallions sliced + more for garnish; diced
- 2-3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce; to taste
In a soup pot, over high heat, add the sesame oil. After a few minutes so the pot can get hot, add the pork, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry until all sides are browned. Add the garlic, onion, kimchi and gochugaru (if using). Mix well and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
Add the vegetable or beef stock and water to the pot. You want to add enough liquid to cover your pork and then some. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Add the soft tofu, zucchini, mushrooms and scallions and turn the heat up to medium-high; season with the soy sauce. Taste and add more soy sauce if needed. Cook for another 8-10 minutes. Serve and garnish with more diced scallions if desired.