Veggie Mac and Cheese
This is my version of one-pot mac and cheese. Makes for less dishes and gets dinner on the table fast. You can use milk instead of the sour cream and heavy cream for a lighter mac n cheese.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 -6
- 1/2 pound dry elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cups cauliflower; diced
- 2-3 cups cremini mushrooms; diced
- 2-3 cups kale; diced
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream + more if too dry but 1/2 cup should be fine
- 3-4 heaping cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese or blend of cheddar + gruyere
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook according to package directions but cook 1 minute less than what the package calls for. Drain, rinse and set aside.
Using the same pot you just cooked your pasta in, add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. After a minute, add all of your diced vegetables and cook until softened and fragrant; for about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the nutmeg in and stir. After a minute or so, add in the pasta, sour cream, heavy cream and cheese. Mix until well combined and heated through; for about 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately.