Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pie
If making homemade pizza dough, make enough for two pizzas, the top and the bottom of this pizza pie.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time55 mins
- butter to grease the cast iron skillet
- 2 packages store bought fresh or frozen pizza dough rolled out flat
- 1/2 to 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 small onion sliced
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup green olives sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes; optional for some heat
- 1- 2 cups pepperoni
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg + 1/2 teaspoon water slightly beaten for egg wash
- Special equipment suggested:
- cast iron skillet
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the inside of a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with the butter. Using your rolling pin, transfer the first rolled out pizza dough to the center of the cast iron skillet and spread evenly on the bottom and up the sides; only as high or thick as you want your pizza pie to be.
Spread on the tomato sauce, top with your sliced vegetables, and sprinkle on the crushed red chili pepper flakes if using.
Cover the entire top of the pizza with the pepperoni. Top with the shredded mozzarella cheese and transfer the second rolled out pizza dough to the top of the pizza pie, connecting the dough to the edges all around the skillet (you can cut off any excess dough if necessary). Using your fingers or a fork, make indentations around the edge of the pizza dough. Make four slits (openings) into the center of the pizza pie to allow steam to escape and lightly brush on the egg wash over the entire top of the pizza pot pie.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and cooked through and you can see the cheese bubbling through the cuts. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 5 -10 minutes. Slice, serve and enjoy!