Zucchini and Summer Squash Crostini
Note: Don't overcook the vegetables. You want the zucchini and yellow squash to still have a little bite and not be too soft. The recipe yields about 15 crostini.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil; split
- 1 french baguette sliced
- 1 garlic clove peeled and left whole
- 1 medium sized zucchini sliced thin with a mandoline slicer
- 1 small to medium sized yellow summer squash sliced thin with a mandoline slicer
- salt and pepper
- fresh ricotta cheese
- balsamic glaze see recipe card above
Using a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the baguette slices and cook until well toasted; for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan, rub one side of all the baguette slices with the garlic and set aside on a platter.
Using the same nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini and summer squash slices and lightly sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes only, flipping them over halfway through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
To assemble: spread the ricotta cheese on each baguette and top with the zucchini and summer squash slices, alternating, if you desire. Drizzle on some balsamic glaze and serve immediately.