One Pan Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables
I used chicken thighs and drumsticks only so if you opt to not use chicken breast, this dish will still taste fabulous. NOTE: follow instructions on how to arrange vegetables and chicken on your baking sheet. PREP TIME: 25 minutes + overnight storing time.
Prep Time1 hr
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr 40 mins
- 12 ounces red potatoes unpeeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 8 shallots peeled and halved
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces, thick ends halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or a handful sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves only; split
- 3 1/2 pounds bone-in skin on chicken pieces (breasts, drumsticks and thighs)
- salt and pepper
Place potatoes, Brussels sprouts, shallots, carrots, 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, 2 teaspoons thyme leaves and 1 teaspoon rosemary in 1-gallon zip top bag. Press out the air and seal; toss to coat.
Place the chicken, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 2 teaspoons thyme, remaining 1 teaspoon rosemary, salt and pepper in a separate 1-gallon zip top bag. Press out the air and seal; toss to coat.
Refrigerate chicken and vegetable mixture zipper-lock bags for at least one hour or overnight, up to 24 hours, flipping the bag at least once or twice to ensure the chicken marinates evenly if you can.
To Finish and Serve:
Adjust the oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat oven to 475 degrees. Spread vegetables in a single layer in rimmed baking sheet, discarding any excess liquid and arranging Brussels sprouts in center and potatoes and carrots along the outside. Season vegetables with more salt and pepper if desired.
Place chicken skin side up on top of vegetables, arranging breast pieces in the center and leg and thigh pieces around the perimeter of the sheet. Bake chicken until breasts register 160 degrees and drumsticks and thighs register 175 degrees, for about 35 to 40 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through baking.
Transfer the chicken to serving platter, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. If desired, return vegetables to oven and continue to bake until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Toss vegetables with any accumulated chicken juices and transfer to platter with chicken. Serve and enjoy.