Scallops, shrimp and pasta in a spicy tomato-cream sauce. (In the book, there is actually a recipe for Stephanie's basic tomato sauce but you can use your favorite store bought tomato sauce for this).
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lb. scallops
- 1 lb. shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce store bought is fine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. pappardelle pasta or any long thick pasta
- chopped flat-leaf parsley to serve
In a large skillet, heat up the oil and butter over medium to medium-high heat. Sear the scallops and shrimp, about 1 minute per side. Remove from the pan and set aside. You will cook the seafood longer later.
Turn the heat to medium and add the garlic and pepper flakes. Cook until soft, but not brown. Add in the tomato sauce and heavy cream. Return the scallops and shrimp to the pan and simmer gently for about 7 to 8 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp.
While the sauce is simmering, using a separate pot, cook the pappardelle pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and toss the pasta with the sauce and seafood. Enjoy immediately with a sprinkling of flat-leaf parsley.