Vegetarian Chow Mein
Feel free to use a mixture of whatever Asian vegetables you have on hand.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup bok choy chopped (both green and white parts)
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 8 oz shiitake or oyster mushrooms chopped
- 8 ounces fresh or dried chow mein egg noodles
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1 to 2 cups snow peas
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce + more if needed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions diced for garnish
Using a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. After a minute or so, add ginger and garlic and saute for a minute or two. Add all of the vegetables from the bok choy to the mushrooms and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften a bit. Feel free to add a touch more vegetable oil if needed.
Next, add in the egg noodles and stir to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes and then add in bean sprouts and snow peas and cook for about 3 minutes or so. Add in the vegetable broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and honey. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until slightly reduced and thick, for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and garnish with the diced green onions before serving.