Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
For the apple, you can use any red, sweet apple, like Jonagold, Honeycrisp, Gala or Red Delicious. This recipe was created using Annie's Mac and Cheese but you can certainly boil regular elbow pasta and use 1 to 1.5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Follow the rest of the recipe accordingly. Enjoy!
- 1 box Annie's Shells and Real Aged Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 apple peeled and diced
- 2 to 3 cups swiss chard (one bunch) leaves only, chopped
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk + more if needed
- cooked crispy bacon bits for garnish
Using a medium sized saucepan, bring water to a boil and cook the shell pasta for about 8 minutes. Drain pasta and set aside.
Using the same pan, heat the butter over medium high heat and sauté the apples for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add in the chopped swiss chard and cook until softened, for about 2 to 3 minutes and remove the apples and chard from the pan onto a clean plate.
Using the same saucepan, add the cooked pasta, pumpkin, cheddar packet from Annie's box, 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and the milk. Mix together until blended and all the cheese has melted and is incorporated, over medium high heat. Add the sautéed apples and cooked chard into the pan and mix together again. Let cook for another minute. Remove from the heat and garnish with the cooked, crispy bacon bits and serve immediately. Enjoy!