Hot and Spicy Cheesebread Stuffing with Jones Bacon
Note for the cook: This recipe works best with day old Stella’s Hot & Spicy Cheesy Bread. If you can’t get your hands on some Stella’s Hot n spicy cheesy bread, I would suggest day old thick white bread and adding some crushed red pepper.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time55 mins
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
- 8 to 9 cups Stella’s Hot & Spicy Cheesy Bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb. 16 oz. Jones Dairy Farm Cherrywood Smoked Sliced bacon
- 1 medium onion peeled and diced
- 1 cup about 4 ribs celery, diced
- 2 packages 16 oz. cremini mushrooms, diced
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon finely diced
- 2 to 2 ½ cups Wisconsin cheddar cheese freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes; optional
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Arrange bread cubes on rimmed baking sheet and toast until lightly golden and crispy, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Using large non-stick pan or skillet, cook bacon slices in batches until crispy, about 8 to 10 minutes, placing cooked bacon on paper towel lined plate. Crumble or chop bacon into bits.
Discard some bacon fat, leaving about 2 tablespoons in pan. Turn heat up to medium high and sauté onions, celery and mushrooms until softened, stirring occasionally, about 7 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
Using large mixing bowl, combine bread cubes, bacon bits, eggs, parsley, tarragon, freshly grated cheese and red pepper flakes. Mix to combine; add onion and mushroom mixture and mix. Transfer mixture to greased 9x12-inch baking dish and bake uncovered for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until browned on top and cooked through. Enjoy!