Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins
This recipe yields 12 larger, bakery style muffins.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 heaping tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries; if frozen make sure they are thoroughly defrosted + more if desired
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk 2% or almond milk
- Special equipment suggested: a cookie dough scooper
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and place your oven rack in the center. Line your muffin tin with your muffin/cupcake liners or spray (with a non-stick cooking spray) the bottom and sides of each muffin tin cup.
In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
In the bowl of your electric stand mixer fitted with the flat beater attachment, beat the butter until softened; for about 1 minute. Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy, for about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed and add in the vanilla extract.
With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture (in three additions) and milk (in two additions) alternating, starting and ending with the flour. Mix only until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries by hand using a rubber spatula.
Scoop out the muffin batter and place into each baking cup and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes and enjoy!