Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
* You can certainly use bone-in and skin on chicken thigh meat. Read my post to see why I used boneless, skinless chicken thigh meat.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
- 1.25 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thigh meat* cubed
- 4 to 5 carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 ribs of celery chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced or finely diced
- 8 to 9 cups of water + more if needed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 sprig of fresh dill
- 1 sprig of fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb. rotini pasta
- fresh parsley for garnish
Using a large heavy bottomed pot, dump in the chicken, carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Pour in the water; you want enough water to cover everything and rise up even more. This will become your chicken soup broth (plus you are adding the pasta later so you want to make sure there's enough liquid).
Add the bay leaves, thyme, dill and basil right on top, season with salt and pepper, give everything a good mix and then bring everything to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium low and let simmer for about 35 to 40 minutes.
After about 35 minutes, add the uncooked pasta and let cook for about 7 to 8 minutes. You can turn the heat up a little higher if you need to. Mix together, taste, season with more salt and pepper. When ready to serve, remove the bay leaves and thyme stems. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve!