Chickpea Veggie Meatballs
*Note for the cook: Be careful not to blend/pulse the ingredients for your meatballs for too long in your food processor. You still want some texture so the meatballs are able to hold together while cooking.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can of sweet corn, drained
- 1/2 small onion roughly chopped
- ½ cup roasted eggplant roughly chopped
- ½ cup zucchini roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 heaping cup panko or regular bread crumbs + more if needed
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped + more if needed
- Salt and pepper
Preheat your oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Using a food processor, pulse together the chickpeas, corn, onions, roasted eggplant, zucchini, garlic, paprika, ground coriander and cumin until just combined. Do not over pulse, you want to retain some texture for your meatballs.
Remove mixture from your food processor and into a large sized mixing bowl. Add in the panko, flaxseed meal, lemon zest, beaten egg, parsley and season generously with salt and pepper. Using your hands or a rubber spatula, mix together until combined.
Shape mixture into balls, about 1 ½ inches in diameter, and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until nicely golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Pack lunch with tahini dipping sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce, or hummus with whole wheat pita bread and raw veggie sticks or fruit.