Butternut Squash Apple Soup
Note for the cook: if you do NOT have a pressure cooker, see below this recipe card for instructions.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- 1 leek tender white parts only, chopped
- 1 medium sized 2.5 to 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into large chunks/pieces
- ½ potato peeled and cut
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 sprinkles nutmeg
- 1 to 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 quarts homemade chicken stock
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
For soup toppings:
- crème fraiche
- oven baked crispy bacon crumbled
- fresh chives finely diced
- chestnuts diced
Using your pressure cooker, cover the bottom of your pan with olive oil. Using the "sauté" setting, sauté the leeks and apples first for about 10 minutes.
Add in the butternut squash, potato, cumin, nutmeg, turmeric and pour in the chicken stock, add a splash apple cider vinegar, season generously with salt and add in the brown sugar.
Close pressure cooker and lock and set to "pressure cook" on high for 20 minutes. At the end of cooking, move the pressure release valve to its venting position. When the pressure has fully released, unlock and open the pressure cooker and remove the pot from the base. Blend, using an immersion blender, until smooth.
Add bacon fat, if you baked some bacon and add a cup of heavy cream and blend together one more time. Serve in bowls and garnish with desired soup toppings. Enjoy!