Coconut Shrimp Curry
This recipe also works for chicken or vegetables! *You can also use coconut milk. I found that the coconut cream yielded a creamier sauce.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 to 3 serrano chiles finely diced (depending on desired heat level)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 to 2 cups coconut cream canned*
- Fresh mint leaves and cilantro leaves for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
Place prepped shrimp in a medium bowl, and season generously with salt and pepper. Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, ground cumin, tamarind paste, fish sauce and serrano chiles, and mix to coat well. Let sit and marinate for 5 to 10 minutes.
Heat coconut oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp in a single layer within the pan and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the shrimp over and add the coconut cream and mix together. Start with 1 cup of coconut cream and add another cup if needed*. Continue to cook for a few more minutes, or until shrimp have turned pink.
Taste sauce and adjust seasoning if needed. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with the mint and cilantro and serve, with lime wedges on the side. Serve over brown or jasmine rice or cauliflower rice. Enjoy!