Strawberry + Orange is quickly becoming a favorite flavor combination for me. Case in point: this is pretty much the same bundt cake I made last month for Bundt-a-month. . but this month I changed a few things, added Nutella, made mini bundt cakes and tried to swirl it.
My first attempt: I purposely tried to use the parts of the batter without the strawberries for the first layer of batter that goes in first (which is actually the top of the bundt cakes), squeezed in my Nutella with a pastry bag, tried to swirl it with a knife and then added another cake batter layer on top of the Nutella.
This is what I got.
Pretty mini bundt cake but not really a swirl. . and certainly not a swirl fit for the swirly month or Swirl Theme for Bundt-a-Month for June. So, I tried again. I did have leftover cake batter. This recipe makes 8 mini bundt cakes after all. And this time, I melted my Nutella a little, was rushing and totally forgot to spray my bundt pan with non-stick (I’m still amazed I managed to get these little guys out ok). And this is what I got.
Because I used most of the cake batter without the strawberries in the first round, these were loaded with strawberries. . and I think the swirl came out much better. I think I also used more Nutella. . these were absolutely delicious. Either way you bake them.
I really love this photo because if you look closely, you can see the specks of orange in the cake. This cake really is delicious. You’ve got to try the strawberry + orange + Nutella combination. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 navel oranges; you will use the zest + the oranges
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup strawberries; chopped into semi-small chunks. If you can, dry them on a paper towel for an hour or so beforehand (this is recommended)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Special equipment: a pastry bag or ziplock bag with corner cut off; for the Nutella
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Using non-stick cooking spray, generously grease and lightly flour a mini Bundt pan and set aside; I have had the most luck using non-stick cooking spray + flour to release perfect bundt cakes.
- Zest both oranges and set aside. Peel the remaining white part and place the orange wedges into a food processor to puree (remove any seeds if there are any). Set aside.
- Using an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachement, cream the butter and sugar together for about 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, waiting until each is fully incorporated. Add the orange puree, zest and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. While, your mixer is on low, add your flour mixture slowly into the wet ingredients until fully combined. Last, lightly sprinkle your strawberries with a little flour, add the strawberries and gently mix into the batter.
- To create the swirl: Pour a little of the cake batter into each prepared mini Bundt well, using a pastry bag or ziplock bag, squeeze the Nutella over the batter in each mini well and swirl into the batter with a butter knife. Then, cover the Nutella with more cake batter, spreading so that it is evenly distributed. Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until a tester inserted in a mini bundt cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 15-20 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool.
- When completely cooled, dust with confectioner's sugar and serve with fresh strawberries if desired.
Bundt-A-Month for June
We have a swirly theme this month! 16 gorgeous swirly cakes in every form will be inspiration enough for you to bake with us this month!
- Apple Swirl Bundt Cake by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Cinnamon Praline Pecan Swirl Bundt Cake by Karen at In the Kitchen With KP
- Cinnamon Pecan Swirl with Cinnamon Glaze by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Swirl Bundt by Anita at Hungry Couple
- Chocolate Matcha Swirl by Kim from Ninja Baking
- Double Chocolate Swirl Bundt Cake by Lora at Cake Duchess
- Lemon Raspberry Swirl Bundt Cake by Carrie at Poet In The Pantry
- Lemon Basil Blueberry Swirl Bundt Cake by Kate at Food Babbles
- Nutella Swirl Bundt by Veronica at My Catholic Kitchen
- Nutella Swirl Bundt Cake by Anuradha at Baker Street
- Orange Creamsicle Bundt by Holly at A Baker’s House
- Strawberry Nutella Swirl Mini Bundts by Alice at Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Bundt by Sandra at The Sweet Sensations
- The Spiced Life Espresso Swirled Bundt Cake by Laura at The Spiced Life
- Vanilla Cherry Swirl Mini Bundt Cakes by Heather at Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Zebra Bundt by Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
How you can join Bundt-a-Month:
- Simple rule: Bake us a swirly bundt
- Post it before June 30, 2013
- Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title could read #BundtaMonth: Cherry Bundt)
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to our announcement posts
Even more bundt fun! Follow Bundt-a-Month on Facebook where we feature all our gorgeous bundt cakes. Or head over to our Pinterest board for inspiration and choose from hundreds of Bundt cake recipes.
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…