BBQ Chicken Burgers with Spiralized Apples!!! Packed with almonds, lentils, quinoa, spinach and more! This is one superfood packed burger!
Happy December 26th you guys! How was everyone’s Christmas? We’re still in Dallas with my family and having a great time. The only down side: I am eating like crazy and haven’t exercised in a week (which feels like three weeks).
I need to get back on track. I need my green smoothies, salads and pure barre classes. Even though this is the week leading up to New Year’s and we’re all still in holiday mode, I’m thinking about how to get back on track again and how my eating habits need to shift in the new year.
We’ll be back to our regular schedules, the kids will be back in school and my meal planning will be back in full effect. I can’t think of a better time to giveaway a copy of this fabulous new cookbook: Superfood Weeknight Meals! Healthy, delicious dinners ready in 30 minutes or less!
This cookbook is written by my friend, Kelly Pfeiffer, who also blogs at Nosh and Nourish. This is Kelly’s second cookbook, also about superfoods!! For this cookbook, Kelly focuses on superfoods like avocado, cauliflower, citrus fruit, almonds, quinoa, eggs, lentils, sweet potatoes, spinach and more! You’ll find recipes using these ingredients! So, we’re talking recipes filled with whole foods, real ingredients and lots of nutrition!
With recipes like this Broccoli Cheddar Soup down below (pg. 52) and Black Bean & Quinoa Chili (pg. 57) and Paleo Pad Thai with Sweet Potato & Carrot Noodles (pg. 71), you’ll be feeding yourself and your family delicious recipes filled with foods and ingredients you can feel good about.
And don’t worry, Kelly has dessert too. Chocolate Avocado Bark with Orange Zest and Almonds (pg. 163; also featured below), Peach Cobbler with Quinoa (pg. 179) and Sweet Potatoes Brownies (pg. 171).
As I was flipping through Kelly’s cookbook, this burger immediately caught my attention because of the spiralized apples. Spiralized apples in a burger. Genius! They look like raw onions and add such great flavor and texture to this burger! I love it!
It’s also loaded with BBQ sauce, fresh spinach, some cheese and sliced tomatoes. Be sure to pin the recipe down below and enter to win this fabulous cookbook!
- ½ cup quinoa lentil blend*
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons almond flour**
- ¼ cup diced apples
- ¼ cup cooked crumbled bacon
- ¾ cup diced sweet potato
- 1½ tablespoons Montreal Chicken Seasoning (or whatever chicken seasoning you have on hand)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 buns (any kind; suggest brioche, whole wheat etc)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- ½ cup fresh baby spinach + more if needed
- 1 apple, spiralized or shredded
- sliced tomatoes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- In a food processor, combine all of the chicken burger ingredients, except the olive oil. Pulse until the chicken is finely ground and everything is evenly combined. Form the ground chicken mixture into 8 round, flattened patties.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the chicken patties and saute for about 5 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the other, or until there is no pink left.
- Place one chicken patty on a bun bottom and top with a slice of cheese, the spinach, tomatoes, spiralized apples, BBQ sauce and top with the other side of the bun.
Recipe published here with permission from author.
THE COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY
Open to residents within the United States only