One Pot Pasta with mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and basil! You literally throw everything into one pot and that’s it! This is the perfect weeknight dinner!
I don’t know what took me so long. I’m a food blogger and have seen one pot pastas all over the place. But then finally, after seeing this from Martha Stewart, I knew I had to try it. I made Martha’s version and it was fabulous. Just watch the video; it’s pretty straightforward and simple.
And then I decided to change it up a bit.
This time, I used whole grain spaghetti (instead of fettuccine) and added the mushrooms and spinach.
Now, this part. . this is why these one pot pasta recipes are so fabulous. Because, you literally place everything into your pot, even the salt and pepper; you can always add more later. I recommend using a pot or pan that’s deep; you could even use a stock pot as well. Just use whatever you have at home. After everything is in your pot, drizzle in some olive oil and then add in 4 1/2 cups of water. Bring everything to a high boil and turn it down just a little after the water starts boiling. Then, you are literally just mixing everything up together.
Depending on what type of pasta you use, you may need to cook everything a little longer; ie: when I used fettuccine the first time, I cooked the pasta for like 12 minutes. Spaghetti only takes 7 to 8 minutes. All of the water should be absorbed and you should end up with a lovely pasta dish with amazingly great flavor! I highly recommend using crushed red pepper flakes and feel free to season with more salt and pepper and hey, throw some parmesan on there too if you’d like.
And the best part? Eating this.
And when you’re done, you will only have one pan to wash!
- 1 box (1 lb.) whole grain spaghetti
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 to 3 cups cherry tomatoes (any kind); sliced in half
- 2 to 3 cups fresh spinach
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil + more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes + more if desired
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4½ cups water
- Place everything into your pot: the spaghetti, sliced onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, basil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Add in the olive oil and then add in 4½ cups of water. Bring everything to a high boil and turn it down just slightly after the water starts boiling if you need to. Then, you are literally just mixing everything up together using tongs.
- Let the pasta cook for about 8 to 9 minutes. All of the water should be absorbed and you should end up with a lovely pasta dish with amazingly great flavor! If you have a little liquid left, cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer on low heat. Turn off the heat and mix together. By the time you serve the pasta, all of the liquid should be gone. Season with more salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from here.