Fancy Mac and Cheese!! Give your regular ole macaroni and cheese a much needed makeover! Mix in some fresh spinach, peas and tuna for some added protein! Your entire family will be asking for seconds!
We have less than 3 weeks until summer vacation and I can hardly believe that the school year is coming to an end. Here in Wisconsin, it doesn’t get dark until about 9pm or later now so it’s hard to get the kids to bed at a decent hour.
Amidst the regular family stuff lately, my oldest just celebrated a birthday (she’s NINE!), my youngest just had dental surgery (and yes, was put under general anesthesia; which that form you have to fill out and sign as a parent is the scariest thing ever!) and we’re just getting ready for summer, making plans, signing up for camps etc.
I’ve signed up for a culinary nutrition certification course in NYC and will be there for two glorious weeks. I can hardly wait. Everything I know about food and cooking, I’ve learned from my parents, from books, from watching TV shows . . but it’s high time I learned more about nutrition. I’ll be exploring and learning about the science of nutrition, nutrition in the marketplace, trends, and specialized diets through lecture and kitchen labs. Now, it’s only two weeks but it will be a jam packed two weeks for sure.
Fancy Mac and Cheese with Spinach and Peas
Faster than the school year, the summers always go by extremely fast so I hope everyone is able to slow down a bit and enjoy every second. Get outside, soak in the sun (just a little! and wear lots of sunscreen) and spend time with loved ones. During the summer, and even now, I’m making more quick meals for dinner.
Nothing wrong with starting with a box.
Annie’s is my kids’ favorites and this was actually our first time trying Annie’s Creamy Deluxe macaroni dinner. This is the one where the cheese comes in a squeezable pouch, and not in the powder form.
For those critics out there, there’s nothing wrong with mac and cheese from a box. Especially when there are NO artificial flavors, NO synthetic colors or preservatives and the cheese is 100% REAL cheese.
When I make mac and cheese, it’s usually just my youngest and I eating it. . so I like to add in some greens .. and peas, which are Madeline’s fave.
And this time, I added tuna for some protein!
I don’t know the last time I just made mac and cheese and didn’t add anything in. I always add in fresh shredded cheese, butter and milk. I love blending different cheeses together! So, next time, add in some provolone, mozzarella or parmesan! You will love it!
- Annie's Homegrown Creamy Deluxe Macaroni Dinner
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or mozzarella + provolone blend)
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- 2 heaping cups fresh spinach
- 2 cans albacore tuna, drained and heated in a pan
- ½ cup red grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- fresh basil for garnish
- Boil shell pasta according to package instructions. Drain and place back into your pot. Heating the pot over medium heat, stir in the cheese packet, milk, butter, shredded cheese and frozen peas. Mix until everything is well blended.
- Add in the fresh spinach, tuna and tomatoes. Mix together well until the spinach has wilted and everything is nicely coated in the cheese mixture. Remove from the heat, garnish with some fresh basil and serve!
Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post. Annie’s Homegrown is a brand that we love and buy frequently at our house! And not just the mac and cheese!