Double Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies! Minty chocolate chip cookies with a sweet glaze and crushed peppermint candies on top! The perfect holiday cookie!
My favorite time of the year is right around the corner! Holiday baking, gift giving and cookie exchanges! If there’s one thing I look forward to every holiday season, it’s baking.
Growing up, my friend’s mother would bake us homemade cookies every Christmas. She made the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted and I think one year there was a surprise, with an assortment of holiday decorated sugar cookies. My mom is an excellent cook but she didn’t bake much so whenever we got homemade goodies, it was always a treat for my brother, sister and I.
I would look forward to that big cookie tin from Mrs. Yoon every year. . and every year, we’d eat the entire thing in 2 days.
My love for holiday cookie baking grew as I got older and flourished after I got married and especially after I had kids. My kids love my cookies and I love baking for them!
Today, I made Double Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies! Pure mint extract in the chocolate chip cookie and crushed peppermint candies on top! These cookies are SO good and perfect for the holidays!
This year, I’m participating in Better Homes and Gardens’ holiday program: The World’s Largest Cookie Exchange!! Now, doesn’t this sound like something you want to be a part of?! If you like baking cookies, and like giving cookies away over the holidays, then keep reading and click here to download these super cute cookie tags and for some great cookie recipes!
For more fun, follow the #BHGCookieExchange hashtag on social media to see photos of holiday cookies participating and just for some great cookie fun!
Happy Holidays (it’s November so I can say this now!) and let’s get baking!
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pure peppermint or mint extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 to 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 12 round peppermint candies, crushed, for decorating
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prep a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using your stand mixer fitted with the flat beater attachment, mix together the butter, sugar and the peppermint extract on medium-high until pale and fluffy, for about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, and then slowly pour in the flour mixture, a little at a time, with the setting on low. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into 1½-inch balls and place, 2 inches apart, on your parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake the cookies for about 12 to 14 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden, rotating your baking sheets halfway through. Let cool on sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to racks and let cool completely.
- Using a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and start with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the heavy cream, adding more if needed to get the consistency you want. Spread a thin layer of glaze on top of each cookie, or drizzle the glaze, and sprinkle with the crushed peppermint candies. Let dry completely on racks and enjoy!
To see a video on how to make these cookies, click here. Recipe adapted from here.