There’s something deliciously fantastic about an easy, flavorful pasta salad. Spring is here and I’m definitely trying to lighten up our dishes at mealtime. For lunch, I focus on tasty but easy to throw together meals all the time. And pasta salad is one of my go-to dishes. The important thing though, for pasta salad, and really any kind of dish for that matter, are the ingredients.
You really want the freshest, and best tasting ingredients to throw in, because for this pasta salad, everything is raw except for the pasta. And you need a great tasting olive oil that’s going to enhance and bring out the flavors of all of your vegetables.
The Pompeian Varietals Collection is a premium line of mono-varietal extra virgin olive oils that celebrate the unique taste profiles of single olive varieties. The new collection currently features three different varieties ranging in flavor from mild to full-bodied, allowing cooks to find the perfect, complementary oil and flavor profile for all of their dishes, from delicate seafood to juicy red meats.
As Pompeian is dedicated to education and quality, the Pompeian Varietals Collection provides consumers with the ability to learn about the unique story and journey behind each bottle – starting at the mill, country and harvest date and ending at the kitchen table. By visiting Tree to Bottle, consumers can track the lot number located on the back of the Varietal to uncover their bottle’s special history.
I selected Pompeian’s Arbequina because I wanted a great tasting, mild-bodied extra virgin olive oil. This olive oil has a round taste of mature fruitiness and a delicate sweetness of almonds, and it’s ideal for fish and vegetables.
Pompeian’s Arbequina really brought out and enhanced all of my vegetables. From the arugula to the artichokes, olives, red onions and mushrooms. This pasta salad was really delicious!
So, whether you are preparing lunch or need a pasta salad for a picnic or gathering with friends, this Arugula and Artichoke Pasta Salad is amazing and I highly suggest you pick up a bottle of the Arbequina as well.
- ½ lb. penne pasta
- 1 heaping cup artichoke hearts (canned or jarred), chopped
- ½ cup green olives, chopped
- ¾ cup red onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 to 1½ cups cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped or diced
- ¼ cup Pompeian Arbequina extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (+ more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- season with salt and pepper if needed
- Clean, chop and prep all of your vegetables. Place into a large mixing bowl, except the arugula. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot of salted, water over high heat and cook penne pasta according to box instructions. Cook to al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and dijon mustard. Taste and adjust any ingredients as necessary.
- Drain and rinse the penne pasta and immediately add the pasta into the large mixing bowl with the vegetables (while the pasta is still hot), mix together, add the fresh arugula and pour on the dressing and toss well again. Season with salt and pepper if needed and enjoy immediately.
Disclosure: This post is in partnership with Pompeian’s Blogger Ambassador Program and Pompeian Pantry Insiders. I was compensated for this post and as always, all opinions are 100% my own.