These days I am all about quick and easy, especially on school nights. I don’t know about you guys but, especially since we have young children, I feel like we are always rotating in the “guaranteed-the-kids-will-eat-it type meals” into the weekly dinner rotation. Spaghetti. They will always eat. Any kind of chicken. They will always eat. Meat/steak/pork. Basically any type of meat, they will eat. But since we’re trying to eat a little healthier and again, I’m looking for faster recipes these days (saving the more elaborate ones for the weekends), we tried this dish.
Brown rice noodles are really starting to become a favorite of mine. I love that they are healthy and they take less time to cook vs. regular pasta noodles. Did Phoebe pick out all of the mint and cilantro from her bowl? Oh heck yeah. Did Madeline throw some noodles on the floor and laugh hysterically? Of course she did. But they ate most of it and that’s all that matters.
If you’re looking for an easy, quick, rice noodle salad and have access to a juicy rotisserie chicken (or go vegetarian), this is the recipe for you!
Tip: You can do cold, but I found this more satisfying with warm or hot shredded rotisserie chicken. Worked for me and I think tasted better.
Variation: You can also stir fry the tofu and carrots so it’s a little warmer too!
I hope you enjoy!
- 8 ounces brown rice noodles (pad thai noodles)
- 1½ tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 large scallion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 cup tofu, sliced long and thin
- 2 carrots, coarsely shredded or julienned
- 1 cucumber—peeled, seeded and thinly sliced or julienned
- ⅓ cup torn cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup torn mint leaves
- ¼ cup roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Lime wedges for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the rice noodles until they are al dente, about 5 to 7 minutes; see package instructions. Drain and rinse them under running water until cold.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the coarsely chopped ginger with scallions and smashed garlic and pulse until chopped. Add the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar and process until smooth.
- Transfer the rice noodles to a large serving bowl. Add the chicken, tofu, carrots, cucumber, cilantro and mint and toss. Add the dressing and toss until evenly coated. Sprinkle the rice noodles with peanuts and serve with lime wedges if desired.
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine.