Tortilla Meatball Soup
I love my Cooking Light magazine. . In October 2011, I came across this recipe for Tortilla Meatball soup. I’ve never made tortilla soup before and I loved it. I highly recommend this recipe if you have the time. . I had my daughter help me with the meatballs so we had a lot of fun!
This time, I did not want to deal with making the tortilla strips, so I used regular tortilla chips instead. A little ghetto but was still delish.
I hope you enjoy!
- 2 jalapeño peppers (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 ears corn on the cob
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into ½-inch-thick strips
- Cooking spray
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- ⅓ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups (3/4-inch) cubed red potatoes
- 1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) slices carrot
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut jalapeños and bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Arrange corn on baking sheet with peppers. Broil 4 to 6 minutes or until blackened, turning corn once. Place peppers in a paper bag; fold to seal. Let stand 15 minutes; peel. Mince jalapeños, and coarsely chop bell pepper. Cut corn kernels from cobs. Set aside.
- Place tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking spray. Broil for 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning after 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine ¼ teaspoon salt, 1 garlic clove, panko, and the next 3 ingredients (through chipotle chile) in a large bowl, and gently mix until just combined. With moist hands, shape the meat mixture into 24 meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each).
- Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add meatballs to pan; sauté for 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Add onion, potatoes, and carrot to pan; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining 5 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add peppers, broth, and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Return meatballs to pan. Add remaining ½ teaspoon salt and corn; return to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes or until meatballs are done.
- Ladle 1½ cups soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 4 teaspoons Monterey Jack cheese, 2 teaspoons cheddar cheese, and 4 teaspoons cilantro. Top evenly with tortilla strips.