Spaghetti Alla Caprese and Parmesan Fish Sticks (Great for Kids!)
As requested by my sister, I am sharing a GREAT & EASY recipe for your kids! This is one that they can help you with as well (if they are willing kitchen helpers with clean hands! )
What kid doesn’t like pasta and fish sticks? Both recipes are super simple and healthy!
Spaghetti Alla Caprese
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 pound mozzarella ball, cubed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- Dice the tomatoes and cube the mozzarella
- Cook the spaghetti in salted boiling water until al dente, about 6-7 minutes (read what’s on your pasta package; some are 8-10 minutes).
- While the spaghetti is cooking, begin to make the sauce
- Mix the tomatoes and mozzarella in a large bowl
- Add the best available extra-virgin olive oil, oregano, basil leaves, and salt, to taste
- When the spaghetti is ready, remove it from the water and add it to the bowl with approximately 1/2 cup of pasta water (you can use more or less if you’d like).
- Mix well, and serve immediately. If you are making other dishes, make sure you save this part for last so you can serve immediately. The pasta will not taste as good if you let it sit.
Tip for basil:
Parmesan Fish Sticks
- 1 (18-ounce) center-cut salmon fillet, about 9 by 4 inches, skinned (or CHICKEN if you want to make chicken sticks)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1/3 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup lowfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or chives
For the Fish Sticks:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Rinse the salmon fillet and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the fish in half to make 2 fillets each about 4 by 4 1/2-inches in size.
- Starting on the longest edge, slice the fillets into 1/2-inch pieces. Lay the widest pieces, from the center, cut side down, and slice in half length ways so all the pieces are equally about 1/2 by 1/2 by 4 1/2-inches in size.
- Place the flour in a medium bowl and season with the salt and pepper.
- Place the egg whites in another bowl and beat until frothy, about 30 seconds.
- Combine the Parmesan and bread crumbs in a third bowl.
- Coat the salmon pieces in the seasoned flour and pat to remove any excess flour.
- Dip the floured salmon in the egg whites and then into the Parmesan mixture, gently pressing the mixture into the fish.
- If you set-up an assembly line and get your kids to wash their hands, you can get the kids involved in this part too! The kids can also wear plastic gloves if you prefer.
- Place the breaded salmon pieces on a liberally oiled baking sheet.
- Drizzle lightly with the olive oil.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.